*** RESERVED *** Military Cross George VI reverse engraved Capt. J.E. Laycock, Caen 1944; 1939-45 Star, France & Germany Star, WWII Defence Medal, WWII War Medal, all Boots-style naming to 'Major J.E. Laycock, M.C. 164261, R.A.' Efficiency Medal with Territorial clasp to Capt. J.E. Laycock, M.C., R.A., accompanied by original newspaper cutting which reads: "Captain Honoured - Bravery in Normandy. On the recommendation of Field-Marshal Montgomery, Captain John E. Laycock, 31 Portland Street, Southport, has been awarded the Military Cross for bravery and distinguished conduct on the battlefield in Normandy. In a letter to his parents he states that he received the award for 'doing a bit extra during the epic struggle at Caen', and expects to be home in the near future for the investiture at Buckingham Palace. Captain Laycock is the youngest son of Mr John Laycock, a director of Messrs. Thomas Ashcroft Jnr. & Son Ltd., timber merchants, Liverpool. He joined the forces at the outbreak of war, and at 23 was appointed Staff Captain at the War Office. He went in to action on D-Day, but after 11 weeks continuous fighting was taken to a base hospital with complete exhaustion. He is now in the line again, and has been promoted to Adjutant of his Brigade. His brother, Flying Officer Donald Laycock, is a squadron gunnery leader in the R.A.F., and has been on operations for three years.

Military Cross Gazetted 21 Decc 1944: "At 0730 hrs on Sat 8th July 1944, Captain Laycock was acting as Forward Observation Officer for 'A' Coy. Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders (Canadian Regiment), during their attack on Grunchy. In order to get observation he had to place himself in a tree. Soon after the infantry advance, the enemy subjected the area of the tree Observation Post to heavy shell and mortar fire. One of the first shells blew Captain Laycock out of the tree and he and he fell 25 feet into his carrier underneath, his fall being broken to a certain extent by branches. Although considerably shaken by his fall and the area still being subjected to accurate gun and mortar fire, with the tree offering no protection whatsoever, Captain Laycock returned to his position in the tree and remained there observing fire and reporting the progress of the attack until he was unable to observe any further, owing to the attacking troops ppassing out of sight beyond a crest. He did not descend the tree until granted permission by his Commanding Officer." John Ernest Laycock was born in 1918 in West Derby, Lancashire and commissioned on 21 Dec 1940 from 122nd O.T.U., made War Substantive Lieutenant on 21 June 1942, Temporary Captain 6 Dec 1942 and Temporary Major 13 Mar 1945, reverting to Captain, Territorial Army on 6 Apr 1945, serving until 1951.


Cards we accept


War Medals


14 Drapers Lane, Leominster,

07714 631 313
01568 616 414