The WWII Japanese fire-fight Royal Scots Fusiliers North Burmese D.C.M. group consisting of: Distinguished Conduct Medal George VI to 3187443 Sjt. R. Liddell, R.S. Fus; General Service Medal with Palestine clasp to 3187413 Pte. R. Liddell, K.O.S.B.; 1939-45 Star; Burma Star; WWII Defence Medal; WWII War Medal. Accompanied by original Soldier's Service Book; King's Own Scottish Borderers Membership Card, War Office letter dated 21 Nov 1946, Buckingham Palace Investiture slip, National Health Service Medical Card and original photograph.
Price: was

D.C.M. Gazetted 22 Mar 1945: "29th Infantry, 36 Division, 11 Army Group, 1st Bn. R.S.F. On 3 Oct 1944 in North Burma, Sgt. Liddell was Platoon Sergeant of the left leading platoon of his company which was advancing on MAWLU across open paddy. At about 1230 hrs, when 200 yards from the edge of the village, the right forward platoon was held up by L.M.G. and rifle fire from the left. Sgt. Liddell's platoon pushed on into a slightly wooded and overgrown area to their left front which afforded some cover. Sgt. Liddell was moving with Platoon HQ close behind the forward section, when he saw a Japanese in the doorway of a building a hundred yards away. He immediately went forward to warn the leading section, from who it was screened, of the presence of a Japanese post and ordered them to stand fast while he reconnoitred. He crawled to a mound within 25 yards of the building from where he exchanged shots with a Japanese Officer who withdrew into the building and on the flank of the platoon opened fire at 75 yards range, as the platoon resumed its advance, forcing it to take cover and reopening fire at every attempt to advance. Sgt. Liddell remained in his exposed position which was now attracting fire, with complete disregard for his personal safety and attempted to eliminate the machine-gun with his grenades, at the same time waving to the platoon to advance. The Platoon Comdr at this stage ordered the platoon to withdraw and Sgt. Liddell remained to cover this operation, engaging and driving to cover three Japanese who attempted to reach fire positions. he then rejoined his platoon and assisted his Commander to reorganise for a second assault. When the attack was resumed, Sgt. Liddell led two sections against the area where he knew the enemy to be. The attack was met by heavier fire than before but, though the sections were forced to take cover, Sgt. Liddell continued to advance urging them on. The Platoon Comdr now decided that heavier support was required and recalled the sections. Sgt. Liddell was then close up to the enemy and remained there in an exposed position for a further five minutes, trying to locate the enemy's detailed dispositions, before he returned to his platoon.

Later in the evening, after the opposition had been neutralized by artillery fire and the company was able to reach its objective, Sgt. Liddell coolly assisted his commander in organising the consolidation under fire from snipers and grenade dischargers. When his commander was mortally wounded he immediately took command and moved amongst his men encouraging them without regard for his own safety. Throughout the action, Sgt. Liddell showed the utmost courage, coolness and initiative and his conduct was an inspiration to all."


Cards we accept


War Medals


14 Drapers Lane, Leominster,

07714 631 313
01568 616 414