*** RESERVED *** The incredibly scarce Great War triple M.C. group, consisting of: Military Cross George V with 2 bars in box of issue; 1914-15 Star to Lieut. D.D.P. Evans, R.F.A.; WWI War Medal to Major D.D.P. Evans in box of issue; WWI Victory Medal with M.I.D. Oak Leaf to Major D.D.P. Evans. In box of issue. Accompanied by medal ribbon bar with two rosettes, transmission slips and 2 Emblems pouch and Llandovery College patch for 5 years Rugby and Cricket Club participation and copy of 'Floreat Landubriense'; a book commemorating 100 years of Llandovery College, with mention of Daniel Douglas Pole Evans, and Lt.-Col. M. Kincaid-Smith's '25th Division in France and Flanders'. One of just 170 M.C.s issued with 2 bars for WWI.

Military Cross Gazetted 24 Sep 1918: "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. When his brigade came under heavy shell fire when going into action suffering casualties in men, and animals blocking the road, this officer cleared the road with a few men. His example of coolness had a marked effect on the men under him and caused many casualties to be saved."

1st Bar to the M.C. Gazetted 1 Feb 1919: "For conspicuous gallantry and great initiative on many occasions during operations in making foreword reconnaissances often under conditions of great personal danger, and bringing back most valuable information."

2nd Bar to the M.C.: "For conspicuous gallantry and skill under heavy enemy fire east of Epehy on September 12th, 1918 and two succeeding days. During these days he maintained the closest touch with an infantry battalion , and on every occasion that unit required artillery support he proceeded to the most advanced position possible, and regardless of enemy shell and machine-gun fire, so directed the fire of his battery as to be of the most assistance to the battalion. He set a fine example to all those serving under him."

Daniel Douglas Pole Evans (1889-1980) was born in the small village of Llanmaes in the Vale of Glamorgan. His father, Daniel, was the rector of the parish. He attended Llandovery College boarding school between 1902-1907, playing for the 1st Rugby, Cricket & Hockey teams, as well as being a very good horseman. He went-on to attend the University of Wales & Monmouthshire, and became an articled clerk to a Cardiff firm of solicitors, George, David & Evans. On the outbreak of war he applied for a commission (Gazetted 1  Dec 1914) and joined the Royal Field Artillery. He was posted to 111th Brigade, serving at home until July 1915 before going to France. Evans was to spend the entire war in France & Flanders, being promoted first to Temp. Lieutenant (Gazetted 28 Feb 1916), then acting and temporary Captain (Gazetted 17 Sep 1917), transferring to the 110th Brigade. In the Autumn of that year he moved to 112th Brigade and received an M.I.D. in December. There then followed a remarkable six months when he won the Military Cross three times. Wounded in August 1918 and also appointed as acting Major Gazetted 1 Oct 1918. After the end of the war he volunteered to serve in South Russia with the British Military Mission that went to support the White Russians in the Civil War in 1919. For the next seven months, he acted for the British Military Mission in the Crimea as an Artillery Liaison Officer. Much of his time was spend writing reports from his base in Odessa, and all these reports are now lodged in the Imperial War Museum in London. In Jan 1920 he contracted Typhus and was hospitalised. During his time he met the daughter of a White Russian officer who was helping with nursing duties. When he was evacuated to Constantinople in Turkey, he arranged for her to go with him and they married the following month. Her name was Evgenija Fedorovna Borisenko. By May 1920, Evans and wife were back in the UK and he continued to receive treatment and recuperate. He rented an apartment at 80, York Mansions, Battersea Park, London, S.W. ,His illness had left him with paralysis down the left hand side of his body, and after appearing in front of various medical boards, he received a military pension and was demobilised in November 1920 with the honorary rank of Major. Evgenija went to Geneva to complete her nursing qualifications with the financial help of Daniel, but at some time there marriage was annulled and she went to live in Italy. She trained there as a dancer and choreographer. She married again and eventually died in Rome in 1970.

One of just 170 M.C.s issued with 2 bars for WWI.



Cards we accept


War Medals


14 Drapers Lane, Leominster,

07714 631 313
01568 616 414