*** RESERVED *** The magnificent and rare Great War triple D.S.O. group, consisting of: Distinguished Service Order George V with 2nd & 3rd award clasps; 1914-15 Star to Major J.G. Rees, Welsh H.; WWI War Medal to Lt. Col. J.G. Rees, WWI Victory Medal with M.I.D. Oak Leaf to Lt. Col. J.G. Rees; WWII Defence Medal; Delhi Durbar 1911 Medal; Special Constabulary Medal George VI to Comdt. J.G. Rees in black velvet-lined fitted case embossed with regimental insignia. One of just 59 D.S.O. & 2 Bars issued to the Army during WWI.
No image set

D.S.O. Gazetted 18 Jan 1918: "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. When the right of his battalion was held up by artillery and machine-gun fire, he at once made his way up to the front, rallied and reorganised the company, and led them in the assault. His complete indifference to danger and gallant bearing had a most inspiring effect on all ranks."

1st Bar to the D.S.O. Gazetted 26 Mar 1918: "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. With a company barley 100 strong he surrounded and captured a village at dawn, where he found an enemy force of between 500 and 600 strong. Owing to heavy machine gun fire he was unable to send back the whole of the enemy force as prisoners, but succeeded in sending back 300 of them. Subsequently, on being counter-attacked, it was owing to his able leading and daring gallantry that he was able to withdraw his company under heavy fire, though it was practically surrounded."

2nd Bar to the D.S.O. Gazetted 15 Feb 1919: "For conspicuous gallantry and able leadership during the attack on Gillemont Farm and the Cat Post. September 21st 1918. Finding the enemy had reoccupied Cat Post he at once organised his signallers, runners, etc., about eight in all, attacked the post and captured a machine gun. When his party was reduced to three he withdrew, bringing back the wounded. He did fine work."

Mentioned In Despatches Gazetted 12 Jan 1918, 5 July 1919 and 11 Jun 1920.

John Gordon ‘Jack’ Rees was born in 1884 in Aberdare, Glamorgan, and attended Clifton College and Rugby School, Warwickshire, before further study at a private school for Gentlemen’s Sons on the Isle of Wight. Attending Royal Military College, Sandhurst, Berkshire, he was commissioned into 13th Hussars (Gazetted 12 Aug 1904) and promoted to Lieutenant (Gazetted 25 Oct 1905). Moving to Pendarren Park, Llangenny, Crickhowell, Breconshire, 1907, Rees served as Adjutant from 1910-1912 whilst in India to gain the Delhi Durbar Medal 1911. Resigning from his commission in 1913, to General Reserve of Officers, he intending to follow a career as a mining engineer. However, with the outbreak of the First World War, Rees joined the Welsh Horse Yeomanry as a Captain on 08 Sep 1914, becoming Major in 1915 and posted to Gallipoli. Rees was one of the last two officers to leave the Gallipoli peninsular, 'firing as they left to induce the Turks to believe that the main body of the troops were not leaving.' Rees had taken his hunting dog "Cymro" with him who suffered a bullet wound to the head and was blown into the air by an explosion. The dog survived and his Welsh Horse mascot collar was hung up and he was retired to Radnorshire. Rees was then posted to Egypt and Palestine and the Welsh Horse was amalgamated to become 25th (Welsh Horse & Montgomeryshire Yeomanry) Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers, and officially wounded in March 1918. Made Commanding Officer of the 25th R.W.F., between August & November 1918, promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in Sep 1918, and to Army Reserve March 1919, Brevet Lieutenant-Colonel, June 1919 and resigning his commission in May 1921. Post-war he was Lieutenant-Colonel of the 3rd Monmouthshire Regiment in May 1939 and Commanding Officer of the Brecknockshire Battalion in June 1939, relinquishing his command at his own request in Dec 1939 due to ill health. Latterly commanding the Crickhowell Home Guard, Breconshire and served in the Special Constabulary. Exceeding the age limit for liability to recall, Rees relinquished commission in Sep 1946, retaining the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel. Rees also served as Sheriff of Radnorshire in Nov 1914, and on the Rural Council, Crickhowell, Breconshire, County Council, Breconshire, and was Chairman, Bench of Magistrates, Crickhowell, Breconshire. He Died in Nov 1963.

One of just 59 D.S.O. & 2 Bars issued to the Army during WWI.


Cards we accept


War Medals


14 Drapers Lane, Leominster,

07714 631 313
01568 616 414