*** RESERVED *** The fantastic Mosquito Navigator's 2-Tour D.F.C. & Bar Group with Log Books & ephemera, consisting of: Distinguished Flying Cross reverse dated 1944 with 2nd award clasp reverse dated 1945; 1939-45 Star; Air Crew Europe Star with France & Germany clasp; Africa Star with North Africa 1942-43 clasp; WWII War Medal; R.A.F. Long Service & Good Conduct Medal EIIR to M. Nav. P. Hall (999013) R.A.F. Accompanied by recipient's Flying Log Books covering complete service from Mar 1941 to Aug 1970, Buckingham Palace Forwarding Letter for the award of the Distinguished Flying Cross, this issued to Flight Lieutenant Percy Hall, D.F.C. Royal Air Force Path Finder Force Badge Award Certificate dated 20th May 1945, this signed by Air Marshal Bennett; forwarding letter for the certificate, dated 14th March 1944. Provisional Authority to Wear Slip dated 25th September 1945. Under-Secretary of State for Air Forwarding Slip for the campaign medals, and together with issue chit for the same, this bearing confirmation of entitlement, and recipient's rank and service number; Secretary of State for Air Warrant Appointing Percy Hall to be a Warrant Officer, dated 23rd Aug 1957; Royal Air Force Air Traffic Control Certificate of Competency, dated 1st January 1962. Royal Air Force Certificate of Service, dated 10th July 1972. Portrait of the recipient in uniform in the rank of Sergeant in the Volunteer Reserve, wearing his Observer's Brevet, 27 personal photographs and thirteen group photographs relating to recipient's career, many annotated to reverse.

D.F.C. Gazetted 8 Dec 1944: Flying Officer Percy Hall, 105 Squadron, No.8 P.F.F. Group. "F/O. Hall commenced to operate with Path Finder Force in July 1944 and has carried out many marking and bombing sorties. He had previously completed a tour  on Wellington aircraft in the Middle East. F/O. Hall has consistently shown himself to be not only a skilled navigator in whom every reliance can be placed, but also possessed to a high dgree of courage and determination, with great devotion to duty however adverse the conditions."

Bar to the D.F.C. Gazetted 26 Oct 1945: "During the last eight months Flight Lieutenant Hall has completed a further tour of 48 sorties on Mosquito aircraft. He has helped to mark most of the German industrial targets which were attacked prior to the final invasion of Germany and has also particpated in many tactical attacks on German forces. In all he made 39 sorties as a marker. His standard of navigation is high, and his determination has enabled him to succeed in his allotted task, often while operating under most difficult circumstances."

Percy Hall was born on 1 Sep 1917 and enlisted into the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve after the outbreak of WWII, and then went forward for flying training, being posted to No.1 Air Armament's School at Manby in Lincolnshire in Mar 1941, before being posted to No.21 Operational Training Unit at Moreton-in-Marsh in Aug1941, and then to No.458 RAAF Squadron at Holme on Spalding Moor, East Yorkshire in Oct 1941, the squadron being equipped with Wellington bombers and serving with No.1 Group. Hall was selected for the crew of a Pilot Officer Clark in 'A' Flight, and his first sortie was to Emden on 15 Nov 1941.

At the end of Dec, No. 458 was withdrawn from all Bomber Command duties to prepare for transfer to the Middle East and its aircrews subsequently ferried 36 out of 37 Wellington ICs safely to Egypt. Hall as part of Clark's crew, ferried out Wellington AB651 to Luqa at Malta on 15 Feb, and then flew another Wellington on to Mersa Matruh in Egpyt. Based at Mersa Matruh, Hall then found himself aboard a U.S. Army Air Corps Dakota bound on 6 Mar from Heliopolis via Khartoum and Kano in Chad, on to Lagos in West Africa where he landed on 8 Mar. Hall arrived home in April, and then joined No.1446 Ferry Flight at Moreton in Marsh in Gloucestershire in late May 1942. On 26 July he flew with the now Flying Officer Clark delivering a Wellington from Portreath to Gibraltar and on to Cairo West on 27 July. Hall then found himself posted together with his crew to join 148 Squadron, a Wellington unit operating in the Middle East. So began an intense period of operations, attacking Tobruk; on 2nd Sep he bombed the battle area, and on 4 Sep performed a similar sortie at 2800 feet, but on his return the aircraft crashed near Cairo West.
Hall was then transferred to 104 Squadron in Dec 1942; a Wellington unit operating out of Malta, and he joined the crew of Flying Officer Beattie operating from Luqa; on the 28 Dec the wireless failed and his aircraft was forced to return to base. As such, Hall's first tour of operations came to an end, he having by now completed 44 operational sorties.

Hall was then posted to No.20 Operational Training Unit at Lossimouth in Morayshire in May 1944, where he underwent operational training in Wellington bombers as part of 'G' Flight, and was then posted to No.1655 Mosquito Training Unit at Warboys in Huntingdonshire in June 1944, where he underwent initial training in Oxford aircraft, and then advanced onto the Mosquito, whilst a member of 'E' Flight, and teamed up with his pilot, Flying Officer Muller. Hall and Muller then found themselves posted to No.105 Squadron at Bourn in Cambridgeshire, a Path Finder Force unit, which operation as part of No.8 in upgraded Oboe-equipped Mosquito Mk.IX aircraft. It performed precision target-marking for Bomber Command until the end of the war. On 21 July 1944, with Muller at the controls, Hall flew in a sortie to Coutrai. During November 1944, the majority of raids were at night. On 1st November he attacked Homberg in daylight. On 27 Nove he attacked Freiberg at night and 29th November he attacked Hamborn in daylight, flying as Leading Navigator for the Support Force on this occasion. On 26 Dec he flew in a daylight sortie to St Vita, but was diverted at some stage during the flight. Promoted to Flight Lieutenant, Hall completed his second tour of operations, totalling 94 operational sorties, 50 of them with the Path Finder Force. Without a break, Hall then opted to continue on operations together with his pilot, the by now, Flight Lieutenant Muller. Hall’s final wartime sortie was on 7 May to Rotterdam. On this day, Germany surrendered. Hall had completed a further 19 operations during his third tour, bringing his total number of wartime operations to a remarkable 113 sorties. Hall and Muller remained together as part of 'B' Flight, and then moved with the squadron to Upwood in Hampshire in early July 1945, flying the odd flight over to Germany. They last flew together on 19 Nov 1945, and shortly afterwards Hall relinquished his commission and left the service on 19th February 1946. Hall then reapplied to the Royal Air Force, having rejoined in the ranks as a Non Commissioned Officer on 26 Feb 1951, he was posted to No.2 Air Navigation School at Thorney Island in Hampshire in Mar 1951 where he undertook a refresher course in Anson and Wellington aircraft. Hall was then posted to No.230 Operational Conversion Unit at Scampton, where he learnt to fly in the Lincoln, and was then posted operational to join No.214 Squadron at Upwood from Oct 1951, flying as a navigator in Lincoln aircraft.

Hall joined No.35 Squadron at Marham from Mar 1952, where he flew in the Boeing Washington aircraft, mostly as a part of the crew of Flying Officer Stirrup in 'A' Flight and later 'B' Flight with Flight Lieutenant Jackson. During May 1954 he gained his first experience in a Meteor Jet. Hall was posted to No.1 Bomber Command Bombing School at Lindholme in July 1954, and then predominantly flew in the Varsity aircraft, a twin engine crew trainer, flying as an instructor. Hall who was by now serving as a Master Navigator, was then posted to No.97 Squadron at Hemswell from July 1955, and during this period underwent a basic fast jet training course, but having joined the squadron, mostly flew in the Lincoln piloted by Flying Officer Chapple. Hall then rejoined the Bomber Command Bombing School at Lindholme in Aug 1955, and qualified as a Visual and H2S Instructor on 1 Sep 1955. Hall remained employed with the Bomber Command Bombing School at Lindholme through to Ap 1960 when he was taken off operational flying, having been promoted to Warrant Officer on 23 Aug 1957.
Hall qualified in Royal Air Force Air Traffic Control duties after attending No.86 Joint Air Traffic Control Course, passing on 9 Sep 1960, and was then retained in the service, and from 15 May to 7 July 1961 attended No.135 GCA Operators Course. He was employed on Radar Approach and Directing Duties in connection with the recovery and departure of aircraft within the aerodrome instrument patterns. Having attended a Communication Organisation Course from 1 May to 18 June 1969, in July 1969 he flew out to the Middle East to take up an appointment there, but was back in the United Kingdom in Aug 1970, and was eventually discharged from the Royal Air Force on 1 Sep 1972.



Cards we accept


War Medals


14 Drapers Lane, Leominster,

07714 631 313
01568 616 414